Roman Catholic church of St Martin
The name of Bogács was first published in 1248, when a church for the memory of Saint George was erected. The village was owned by nobles and the town Eger at the very beggining of 16th century.
The original 13th-century Romanesque church was reconstructed in Gothic style in the 15th century. In 1958 it became a listed monument when original Romanesque details were uncovered.
The church is built of carved red stone mined at a local quarry. The sanctuary, the vestry, the lower section of the tower and the side chapel are likely to be the oldest parts. The origin of the remains parallel to the nave’s northern wall is uncertain. The two most likely explanations are that the church had three naves or an adjacent monastery.
By the 18th century the church got to a bad state. During the renovation carried out in 1800 the ceiling of the nave was replaced and the floor was covered with stones quarried at nearby Sály. A burial site was discovered in the space during this work and excavations started at the foundations of the chorus.
The church can be visited after registration.